30 Years of Winning Results for Our ClientsOur Experienced Lawyers Handle All Aspects of Your Case, and Work Hard to Keep the Legal Process as Stress Free as Possible for You.
Philadelphia Birth Injury Lawyer
Pregnancy and childbirth are two of the most precious milestones that should bring infinite joy to families. But when the child or the mother sustains a birth injury, the joyful milestone could turn into a somber incident and the consequences could be a lifelong weight to endure.
If you or your family has been devastated by a birth injury, legal options may be available to you. Doctors, medical staff, and other healthcare providers that caused the injury through their negligence may be held liable under the law. This gives you the chance to be compensated for your suffering. While nothing can ever undo the incident, you can achieve a sense of justice and obtain monetary repayment to greatly help you move forward.
In Pennsylvania, the Brod Law Firm is on your side. With our skills, experience, and resources, we can help you successfully obtain justice and compensation for the birth injury that you or your loved one sustained. More than that, we’ll provide compassionate service throughout this tumultuous time, because we want you to truly heal. Consult with the Brod Law Firm for free.
Birth Injury Vs. Birth Defect
Not all health conditions sustained at birth are injuries. Some are birth defects, and it’s important to distinguish between the two if you are considering a legal claim.
Birth defects are generally unavoidable and they can be detected before birth, even during the first trimester of pregnancy. Some examples of birth defects are cleft palate or cleft lip, clubfoot, sickle cell disease, and Down Syndrome. Sadly, the medical community has not yet figured out what exactly causes birth defects, but they suggest several factors such as genetics, illnesses during pregnancy, substance abuse during pregnancy, and age of the mother.
Birth injuries, on the other hand, are typically caused by human errors or negligence before or during birth. An example is when a physician prescribes the wrong dose of medication to a pregnant woman, or when a doctor continues a delivery without considering high-risk complications.
When negligence is involved, a birth injury may be considered a case of medical malpractice, for which you may take legal action. A doctor may tell you that the injury was caused by “complications” during birth, and while this can be true, it can also be used as an excuse for medical professionals to avoid responsibility.
It’s important that you question and understand exactly what happened during the birth. If you are uncertain, please do not hesitate to talk to us at the Brod Law Firm, as we work with a network of medical experts to make sense of your case.
Types And Examples Of Birth Injuries
Unfortunately, birth injuries are often serious and create disabilities. Here are some types and examples:
- Cerebral palsy – a crippling form of brain damage resulting from lack of oxygen
- Erb’s palsy – disability of the arm due to nerve damage around the shoulder (brachia plexus)
- Hypoxia – oxygen deprivation, which can lead to more complications such as brain damage and paralysis
- Spinal cord issues
- Cranial hemorrhaging – bleeding of the brain, which can lead to life-threatening complications
- Shoulder dystocia – when the infant’s shoulders are stuck for a long time inside the birth canal during a vaginal delivery
- Broken bones
- Swelling and bruising
Compensation You May Receive
Monetary compensation can be highly valuable if you are dealing with a birth injury. The amount you receive can help you recover from your expenses and more importantly, secure a better life for your child. In a medical malpractice case involving birth injuries, these are some of the things you may be compensated for:
- Medical bills
- Loss of earnings
- Cost of continuing treatment and medical equipment
- Cost of special needs such as education and nursing
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress.
Choose The Brod Law Firm For Your Malpractice Claim
Remember that taking legal action means fighting for your child and for yourself. You don’t want to waste your time and money with a lawyer who is not capable of handling your case. Let the highly competent and compassionate Brod Law Firm fight for you. We have the crucial elements you need to win and recover:
- Thirty years’ worth of successful and proven legal experience in the field of injury
- Skilled lawyer working with medical experts to build a strong, effective case for you
- Compassionate treatment throughout your case, greatly reducing the stressfulness of the process
- Prompt and personal attention, so you understand every aspect of your case
- No-fee pledge: You pay no lawyer fees unless and until we obtain an amount for you.
The Brod Law Firm has served numerous injury victims throughout Pennsylvania, helping them move forward with their lives.
Your consultation with us is free and confidential. Contact the Brod Law Firm online or call our law office.
Your Road to Justice
If you've been injured and would like to discuss your case with one of our experienced personal injury lawyers please fill out the form below.